Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, October 26, 2007

Friday Feature -- MadeByMelissa

This week's featured Etsy artist is Made By Melissa. I especially like her kids' jewelry. These bracelets are adorable, and at $2.50 for a set of three they are quite the bargain!


Tell me two (or more!) interesting things about you.

Hobbies - beading, crocheting, baking, internetting. Family situation - I have a newborn, a puppy and a hubby that handles the 3:30 AM baby feeding and puppy potty time. Job - My "real" job is as an environmental engineer. Collections - aside from crafting supplies, I collect postcards and novelty socks.

What do you sell in your Etsy shop? Mostly beaded jewelry for grown-ups and kids with a few crocheted items ranging from baby to adult.


What inspires your creations? I get inspiration from everywhere - things that I like, things that I know friends and family will like, things I see in the store, online, on other people. Sometimes I see supplies in the store and automatically picture the finished product.

Tell me a bit about your creative process and/or how you learned to do what you do. I just really picked up the jewelry thing from a really young age starting with friendship bracelets and I gradually started making more advanced things. I taught myself based on examining store bought items and looking for parts that I needed to make mine look like theirs. Crochet I learned the basics from two family friends after years of trying to get knitting down pat (my grandma taught me when I was 10). Once I picked it up again, I taught myself the more "complex" stuff from online patterns and books.

To which Etsy Street Teams do you belong? EtsyKids, EtsyMom, EtsyNJ and EtsyBloggers

What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite? I love everything in my shop! If I don't like it, then I take it apart and try again until I get something I like. Currently I have two items that really knock my socks off! I have a Mommy & Me matching pink crystal bracelet set and my super-duper cute ice cream charm necklaces


What 3 words would you use to describe yourself? dedicated, smart and sensitive

What do you like about Etsy? Its a great place for crafters to come together and showcase their talents. A place for shoppers to know that they are getting something that someone put love and dedication into making.

What makes your shop unique? The variety in my items - they range from simple and classic, to shiny and fun.

What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy? For sellers - promote yourself in forums, blogs and street teams and be patient sales come in bunches and often times there are long dry spells in between. For buyers - check your seller's feedback, feel free to contact sellers and ask questions and ask for custom items, most of us love to hear from you.

Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?Check out my blogs - http://madebymelissa.blogspot.com/ & http://www.myspace.com/made_by_melissa



For more posts like this, click here.

3 comments:

Made by Melissa said...

Thanks so much for featuring me! You did a great job.

Ali said...

Great write up on Melissa! Awesome blog!

caraex said...

I can't imagine how Melissa has time for all she does! Multi-tasking in the extreme. Great blog.

caraex