Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Phobic

Recently, BJ has been developing several strong dislikes. Some are approaching the level of full-blown fears, though all are labeled "Not So Good." It's his physical reaction that differentiates the phobias from mere preferences; if he's really scared, he'll run to be picked up, often screeching as he comes.

For some time now, we've been dealing with the fear of the farmer's market. Now he's also scared of the information kiosk at the mall, ever since finding out they no longer give out balloons -- a discovery that caused severe emotional trauma. He's afraid of a local Mexican restaurant chain called Aqui's, ever since freaking out at a mural on the restaurant wall which depicts the Garden of Eden.... What's especially weird is this phobia extends even to the other restaurant location that does not have the mural and is decorated very differently. Beats me how he knows it's the same restaurant. Perhaps it's something about the smell, or maybe he can read the sign over the door. Wouldn't put it past him.

Other new additions include house flies (which I can understand, given how emphatically I insisted he not touch them, after I found him nearly putting a dead fly in his mouth) and the letter Q page of his Underwater Alphabet book (which puzzles me extremely, since this used to be his favorite page of the book).

Today, he added the oddest one yet: dust motes.

Yes, today he came running to me in a panic after breakfast, shrieking about dust motes. It took me several minutes to figure out what he was hollering about. (Who told him what they are called, I wonder? Wasn't me.) After picking him up and reassuring him, I tried some reverse psychology, acting fascinated by the way they danced about in the air. I told him they reminded me of tiny fairies, flying around doing magic and granting wishes.

He seemed to buy it, at least a bit. But if he suddenly decides that fairies are Not So Good, we will know why.

I just pray that the Era of the Terrifying Dust Motes does not last long. Given my housekeeping habits (or lack thereof), it could be a significant problem if it does.

1 comment:

Cara said...

I didn't know that's what those are called- you're talking about the sunlight streaming in through a bunch of dust particles, right? It's pretty. And it doesn't say anything about your housekeeping, my mom is a clean freak, er, I mean amazing housekeeper and she has those too ;)