Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday Feature -- Scrumdidlyump

This week's featured Etsy artist is Katie at scrumdidlyump, where you will find "FunKtional Goodies Galore!" I really admire her talent with ceramics, and I have to say that as an ex-biology major, I absolutely love her Paramecium Dish. I keep telling my friends that you can find ANYTHING on Etsy, and this whimsical dish is yet one more piece of evidence to support that claim. Enjoy the interview!

Tell me two (or more!) interesting things about you.

I was the first person under the age of 38 and first female in the Birmingham Bagpipe Society at age 14. I have over 300 Pez dispensers. I speak German fluently and Japanese like a three year old.

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell handbuilt ceramics, clothes and vintage sewing machinery.


What inspires your creations? Microscopic life forms. Robots. Small children.

Tell me a bit about your creative process and/or how you learned to do what you do.

I fell in love with ceramics in Japan, while I was studying abroad for a semester. I had worked with clay before, but something just clicked over there. My sensei kicked me out of the studio at one point because he said I needed to see what Japan looked like outside of the building, I was spending so much time working. I learned the methods I use to make my slab bowls while I was working for the lovely people at Turtle Island Pottery (see http://maggiejones.etsy.com/) and expounded on the basics until I have what I do now.

As for sewing and vintage machines, my grandad was a mechanic and machine oil is one of my favorite smells (along with marigolds and stout beer.) I taught myself to sew at age five and my mom taught me to use a machine at age 8. A few years ago I was given an old godzilla redeye Singer and fell in love with it while I was cleaning it and troubleshooting its ailments. After it was ressurected, I was hooked. I now have seven vintage machines that have come to me through various routes.

To which Etsy Street Teams do you belong? EtsyMoms and MudTeam

What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?

I really love "not Yo Mama's Fruitbowl" My mom said that she thinks my grandmother, who passed away a few years ago, would be proud.



What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?

Scrumdidlyumptious Artist Extraordinaire.

What do you like about Etsy? I don't think that I could ever get bored here, there are so many different kinds of work and fun people. I also love the Storque with a passion.

What makes your shop unique? I have never see any other pottery like mine. And I know for a fact that noone else on Etsy has a Singer Featherweight Portable Sewing Machine listed.

What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy?

Frolic. Take advantage of this wonderful community and the wonderful people involved. And buy handmade!


Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?

My website is coming soon, so keep an eye on my Etsy profile for information about that.


For more Mama's Magic Friday Feature interviews, click
here.

No comments: