Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day

Our Earth Day was a busy one this year, I'm happy to report. In the morning, we hosted a seed planting playdate for BJ's playgroup. I'd bought miniature sunflowers and sweet peas for us to plant, and one of the other moms had put together a craft activity -- painting coffee filters with liquid watercolors to make spring flowers.





The planting was fun, but the painting was definitely the highlight for BJ. I think he made half a dozen flowers. Even BB had fun with it, though she was more interested in painting the rocks that we were using as paper weights to keep the filters from blowing away in the breeze.

It is such fun to see them starting to do things together. When I was pregnant with BB, everybody said that the first year would be the hardest, and I'm beginning to believe them. Wonderful as it was to have another baby, it was no easy task to manage both BJ and BB while she was an infant. Babies just need so much time and energy, and a toddler doesn't really understand that.

Now that BB is no longer a baby, is truly a little kid, she and her brother are (hallelujah!) starting to play together. Today she was pushing him in the toy car, much to his delight.

In the afternoon, we did some errands, heading over to the library and the grocery store. These things are SO much easier with S around. Tuesdays are one of our most productive days, since he's usually home from campus during the day. (And Tuesday evenings are usually my most productive time, since once the kids are in bed I'm on my own and waiting up for him until 11 pm or later; he runs a movie series on campus on Tuesday nights.)

Of course, it being Earth Day and all, I was careful to remember to bring our reusable bags to the grocery store. I do my best to use these but sometimes it's just too much to remember -- all I can do to get me and the kids and all their stuff out the door. When we got home, BB insisted on "helping" with the groceries. Mostly, she wanted to play with the bags.

Turns out they make an interesting fashion accessory!

Even the cat got in on the fun.


On a related Earth Day note, check out this post on the Motherwear Blog -- we all know that Breast is Best for baby. Turns out it's also best for the planet!

Happy Earth Day, everybody!

(Or, as BJ has been saying all day, "Happy Birthday!" Followed immediately and repeatedly with his question, "Mommy, whose birthday is it?" To which I replied, truthfully: "Your Grandma C's." So Happy Birthday to her, too!)

No comments: