Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, April 4, 2008

Friday Feature -- Jeynreyn

This week's featured Etsy artist is fellow SFEtsy member, jeynreyn. This shop truly has "something for everyone." I think that her barrettes are especially charming. (I'm particularly interested in hair stuff these days because BB and I are having "bad hair" year together, as I grow out my pixie and she grows into her toddler hair.)

Tell me two (or more!) interesting things about you.

1) I built my first car (Honda 600) when I was 15 and rebuilt a PC a few years back.


2) I know how to sew, knit, crochet, paint, sculpt, graphic design, construct or build, and do minor plumbing or electrician work (fix things).


3) I've played soccer for over 30 years, since I was 5 years old and

4) I've stayed in the Amazon with a tribe for 5 days, and travelled a lot to Egypt,Turkey,Europe, UK, Ireland, Mexico, Caribbean, Canada, and the US. and


5) I am pregnant with our first child (girl), due in 9 days!! eeek!


(Update from Jen at Mama's Magic: the baby has arrived! Congrats!)

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

Currently I have Pocket Scarves, Stuffed animals and objects, Barrettes, Cell Pockets, iPhone/iPod/PDA protectors.


What inspires your creations?
Mostly the fabrics. I usually don't always think of the actual item until I go to the fabric store and see a fabric type and think of what I can make with it. This can get me in a lot of trouble. But, I also see things in magazines, stores, and markets, and think of another way to make them (with enhancements, different fabrics,etc.).


What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?

This is sort of tough because I really get attached to a lot of the things that I make, so I'd have to give you two. One is a Cell pocket (Spring Fling) that is made out of this beautiful sheer fabric with the nicest complimenting colors. It is sort of difficult to make because of the type of fabric, but I had a lot of compliments on the one I kept for myself. The other is a little mouse (Souris) that was my first stuffed animal, and it actually turned out really cute. It also was a little difficult to make, only because of it's size, but those challenging ones that turn out are the most satisfying to complete. Both were sold a while back.



Tell me a bit about your creative process and/or how you learned to do what you do.

I learned alot of creative stuff from my Mom when I was really little, like watching her design, sew, knit, and crochet, and I also learned alot of inventions from my Dad when I was little because he was always thinking of crazy ideas. I haven't stopped thinking of ideas since. I even have a book where I write down the drawings and ideas, so they don't go away and I can refer to them at a later time and make them.

What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?

Clever, creative, and inventive.

What do you like about Etsy?
I like its simplicity, unlike eBay or other selling websites. Etsy made it user friendly (for the most part) for DIY designers to sell their items and make a business out of it. It was a niche that hadn't been tapped in the big way that Etsy has been able to accomplish. Before that, there was just Craigslist, eBay, and consignment stores, which are still great tools, but Etsy is all about DIY and how to grow your business.
What makes your shop unique?

I'm not sure if it is all that different than some other shops I've seen on Etsy, but I've purposely made it so that I have a variety of items to sell, as so to offer the buyer more choices.

What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy?

I'm not really one to give too much advice, seeing as I've had my dry periods and my sales are not huge, but in that I've learned that you need to keep posting items either on a weekly or daily basis or you can lose your following. My sales went up 150% and I got "hearted" alot more after I made sure to post regularly, update my Shop's appearance, participate in the forums, and intermingle with other Etsy folks.

Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?

I've had some consignment at this recycled clothes shop in San Jose, CA (no website), as well as some arm wristlets shown in one of their annual Black & Brown runway shows. Also, recently my barrettes can be found at http://www.meepsdc.com/ (instore, not online). Other than that, I am still trying to concentrate on my Etsy shop and build up my sales first, as well as try to branch out to other online consignment shops and such. I've also just recently started my own creative blog at http://www.jeynreyn.blogspot.com/. It is a great outlet for sharing my ideas and pics.



For more Mama's Magic interviews with Etsy artists, click here.