Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday Feature -- Oh Sew Fresh

This week's featured Etsy artist is Rachel from Oh Sew Fresh . She also has a brandy-new little shop for little ones, Oh Sew Fresh Baby Boutique !


Aren't these mini diaper bags just too nifty? They even come with a matching changing pad. Very stylish!



Tell me two (or more!) interesting things about you. (Hobbies, achievements, favorite something-or-other, family situation, jobs, etc…)

Well… obviously I love to sew! I especially like the designing side of sewing. I have so many ideas that pop into my head that I can’t possibly keep up with them so all I really have time for is putting them into a sketchbook and working on them one (or two) at a time. I don’t really have any other hobbies except reading travelogues. I love to travel and hopefully some day we will be able to travel regularly.

I am a stay at home mom to a beautiful two year old girl! I love being able to pursue my dreams and be a mom too! A few interesting facts about me: I lived in Kuwait for 2 ½ years when I was 10, I was homeschooled for half of my schooling, I finished one year of college in nursing and Army ROTC before I got married.

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell mostly handbags, totes, and accessories right now, but I switch things up a lot and I get bored of doing the same thing over and over. Currently I am working on a baby line! I am making adorable boutique quality baby quilts, and boppy covers, and a couple dresses for toddlers, etc… . (Note from Jen: these are now available in her Oh Sew Fresh Baby Boutique!)



What inspires your creations?

Nature definitely inspires me, but art also has a big impact. Inspiration flows when I look at paintings and artwork, particularly from more contemporary artists. I don’t really know how my ideas evolve from a beautiful picture, but I enjoy the process! Vintage style is another huge inspiration for me. I love making the old new again by “modernizing” the vintage. Making an item look fresh and new but also have the nostalgia and charm of vintage is my goal.

To which Etsy Street Teams do you belong? CAST – Christian Artist’s Street Team, EtsyMoms, ETC – Etsy Texas Crafters

Tell me a bit about your creative process and/or how you learned to do what you do.

I can’t remember when I started sewing and designing, but I must have been really young because I can’t really remember a time when I wasn’t sewing or crafting or drawing. I started out with those cute little cross stitch and embroidery kits you can get at the fabric store and moved on to more and more difficult things until I am where I am today. (And I’m still learning!) My mother really helped me along the way and taught me how to use a sewing machine. I have never been formally educated in the fiber arts, but I am so glad I learned it the way I did, because I have really been able to develop my own style at my own pace.


What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?

Right now I am in love with the baby items I am developing, but I will have say that my “Blue Patchwork Tote” is my favorite. The deepness and variety of the blues really complements the rustic naturalness of the linen. I love contrast and it really shows in this bag. Here I played on taking a vintage item (a star quilt top) and modernized it by giving you just a peek of the quilt and making it pop right out at you with the help of a neutral background. I don’t have any for sale right now, but I am working on making up a couple more. If you would like to reserve one for yourself, just contact me! Here is my sold listing.


What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?
Quiet, creative, feminine

What do you like about Etsy?

I love being part of an amazing community of creative crafters just like myself. They almost feel like family!

What makes your shop unique?

Everything! You can’t find any other handbags or purses that look like mine.


What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy?

For the sellers: Don’t give up! It takes time for people to find you. And never ever change your style because you think you will sell more. You will lose your heart for what you do. Trust me.

Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?

I also have a flickr account! http://flickr.com/photos/dowdfamily/

You can also check out Rachel's new blog at http://ohsewfresh.blogspot.com/

For more Mama's Magic Friday Features, click here.

No comments: