Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, April 25, 2008

Friday Feature -- SassyStitches

This week's featured Etsy artist is fellow Etsymom Sassy Stitches . Given her green sensibilities, it seemed especially appropriate to feature her this week, during Earth Day week.


Her totes and bags are really snazzy, many made of recycled materials. Her sense of style is indeed "sassy" -- I especially like her kid's aprons. Aren't they adorable? (And anybody who dotes on librarians is good in my book!)



Enjoy the interview!

Tell me two (or more!) interesting things about you.


I am a La Leche League Leader; Retired math teacher, retired to be a SAHM once we had kids, and retired because I don't ever want to go back to that again; I LOVE ice cream, even though almost all of the ice cream stands close from Columbus Day until Memorial Day in RI; I am a Library nerd, meaning I am not ashamed to dote over the Librarians with baked goods (someone needs to show them some appreciation); I love to cook and plan out the menu for my future fictional restaurant; I have 3 kids: 7, 4.5, and 19 months; I am part of a pre-school home school co-op.

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell mostly bags: totes, purses. I also have a few kid's things like aprons and doll slings. The bags are mostly made from materials that I have salvaged from a local recycling center.

What inspires your creations?

I love bags and totes. And it seems like any time that I would buy one, I would think "I can make that, and make it better." So I started making my own. Then I found the recycling center. It really gets my wheels turning!!
I also love to make things for my kids, and again, most store-bought, mass-produced items are not very durable and of low quality. And my kids love the things that I make; what more inspiration could you need?

Tell me a bit about your creative process and/or how you learned to do what you do.

My mom taught me to hand sew when I was probably 5 or 6, and then to machine sew when I got older. She gave me her old portable machine after I got married. I was never that interested in sewing until about the past 5 years.

What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?

The 1984 Tote bag just because of all of the materials used in it. I used upcycled red metal earrings for the trim of the tote. It is more of a novelty item, but still very durable.



What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?

Sassy, of course; intelligent; experimental


What do you like about Etsy?

I love the community of all the other etsyians. Everyone is so helpful. And the fact that it is handmade. I can find a gift for anyone at Etsy. I never have to buy a gift from a chain retailer again!!

What makes your shop unique?

Because of the upcycled materials I use. And all of the things that I make are one of a kind. I won't duplicate anything. There will always be some variation.

What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy?

Go to the forums and ask questions. Everyone is so helpful, and you can learn so much. And remember how good you are being to yourself, the artist and the recipient when you buy handmade

Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?

I just started a blog.


For more Mama's Magic Friday Feature interviews, click here.

No comments: