Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, April 21, 2008

Tender Cactus

Years ago, when we were living in Tucson, S took to calling me a "tender cactus." We'd come across a jar of the stuff in the ethnic food aisle at the local Safeway, and he was quite amused by the label.

I have to admit, grudgingly, that it is an apt moniker. I definitely have a tendency to bristle with spines, even while being quite sensitive. (He would say, too sensitive.) Considering that S is more of a sunflower type, it can be difficult for us to share a garden at times.

Especially lately, since "tender cactus" has been less of a tendency and more of a mode of existence for me. I can come up with a lengthy list of reasons, including sleep deprivation and being in constant pain from the sciatica issues. (BB's canines are coming in, with tooth #13 emerging -- finally!!! -- so her sleep is a mess.) But it's tiresome to complain, especially when it's the same stuff over and over, so I won't go on and on about that.

I so look forward to when BB sleeps through the night. I know that in the scheme of things this time is short, but it's been years since I've been able to rely consistently on sleeping well, and it's definitely taking a toll. A good night's rest will be as welcome as rain in the desert. I have every hope that it will bring this tender cactus into bloom, and even blunt the prickles in the process.

No comments: