Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday Feature -- Macaroni and Glue

This week's featured Etsy artist is Macaroni and Glue. Her stationery and paper goods are classy and unique, with an elegant sense of style.


Be sure to check out her sale: buy three and get the fourth for free! Her shop announcement has all the details.


I especially like her Father's Day cards. "Father is a Verb" is my particular favorite!



Tell me two (or more!) interesting things about you.


1. In a former life, I was a working actor.
2. My husband and I lived for years with our Rottweiler on a 40' boat on Lake Union in Seattle. It was great - it's right in the heart of the city. But it was definitely close quarters. I was running a designer clothing resale business in those days and I literally had to keep my inventory in a 2 x 2 hanging locker and bins in the engine room.

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I primarily sell stationery - notecard sets, greeting cards, invitations and announcements. But I also enjoy decoupage and occasionally offer gifts as well.

To which Etsy Street Teams do you belong?

I love teams! I'm a member of FAM (Fabulous Artistic Moms of Etsy), EtsyGreetings, EtsyPaper, EtsyMom, and EtsyBloggers

What inspires your creations?

I love all things vintage - I'm constantly searching for beautiful imagery from vintage ephemera, historical drawings and children's books from the early 1900s. My 2-year-old daughter also influences my designs. I absolutely love illustrations of little girls and simple, feminine designs.


Tell me a bit about your creative process and/or how you learned to do what you do.

I'm completely self-taught and for years thought that I didn't have an artistic bone in my body. In fact, I was invited to a cardmaking party a few years ago and declined to participate in the sample project. I told the instructor I was "craft-impaired!" When I left my job to stay home full-time with my daughter, I started making handmade gifts for family birthdays and holidays in an effort to save money. I began trying out all kinds of crafting techniques and I absolutely fell in love with the idea of making something with my own hands. After making some personalized notecards and thank you cards as gifts for friends, I realized I'd kind of zeroed in on paper as my preferred material. Since I'm not really into the whole scrapbooking thing, I had no idea what kind of great stuff was available for paper projects! The more "gear" I acquired, the more ambitious I became with my designs. The more ambitious I became, the more I realized that I'd truly found a new passion.

What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?


I absolutely adore the "Kelly" invitation set. They're so simple and pretty - at once, earthy and elegant.

What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?

1. Driven
2. Meticulous
3. Nurturing

What do you like about Etsy?

I love the sense of community that Etsy provides. I opened my shop with some trepidation - it was the first time I'd put my work out there and announced to the world that I consider myself a stationery designer. Very scary. But I've been very warmly received and feel so supported. Every time I get a "heart" from someone whose work I admire myself, I feel completely validated. I'm just very proud to be part of such an amazing group of artists.


What makes your shop unique?

I think I have a unique and eclectic sense of style. I like to take vintage imagery and make it fresh. With my greeting cards, I try to offer non-traditional ways to express traditional messages. My work is simple and often understated; it's straightforward and poignant. And I feel like I truly offer something for everyone.


What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy?

For sellers, know what you want from your shop and tailor your shop-keeping activities accordingly. It's easy to get caught up in all the hoopla of promotions and social networking. Each time you're tempted to take something else on, ask yourself if what you're doing is consistent with your goals. For buyers, shop with abandon! Etsy is filled with great stuff and fabulous people. You're doing a good thing by shopping with us.

Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?


You can find out more about my life, my politics, my business and my creative process on my blog at http://macaroniandglue.com/.
I also have a gallery on http://etsyfame.com/.


For more Mama's Magic Friday Features, click here.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks for the great feature!

Kelly
http://macaroniandglue.com

ElegantSnobbery said...

Great feature! I love Kelly's shop!

Nikki said...

What a great feature! Kelly has an awesome shop. I love her cards.