Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Etsyblogger Carnival -- Favorite Crafting Tool

For this month's Etsyblogger carnival topic, I chose to write about my favorite crafting tool. It's tough to choose a single favorite, even though I don't really use many tools in my work these days. My Baby Friendly Beads nursing necklaces only require a ruler to measure the cord and a pair of scissors to cut it to length. The rest of the beading is done with beads, cord, and fingers. So I guess I'd have to choose the most specialized of my jewelry tools, and also the one I am happiest to have purchased: a simple pair of round nose pliers.
For years, I held off purchasing one of these. Rather ridiculous, given how inexpensive they are. Instead, I used a pair of pliers "borrowed" from my father's toolbox when I was a teenager (I think it originally dates to his early years in electrical engineering, before I was born).
This pair is still in my box 'o crafting stuff, mostly because seeing them makes me smile and reminds me of my dad. Kind of ironic, given that he very much believes in using the right tool for the job.
When I finally plunked down the $7 for the round nose pliers, it felt like an important step in becoming a Real Jewelry Designer. (This was also about the time that I started getting catalogs from Fire Mountain Gems, which helped propel me several more steps down that path; the pliers actually came from there.) I use them for every little beaded bug I make, every pair of earrings. It is SO much easier to round off wire ends with a tool designed to do exactly that!

8 comments:

Barbara said...

My dad had the same thing about "the right tool for the job" -- when my mom would use a crescent wrench to bang a picture hanger into the drywall, he would frown and shake his head and mutter things I never quite could make out :)

Thanks for sharing your love of the round nose pliers :) Now I have to go think about which crafting tool I love best....

Lily - Tulip's Talking from the said...

Great read!!!

~Lily

storybeader said...

what a nice story! Most days I couldn't work without my round nose pliers either.

Tracy said...

Great post, I too dod my blog carnival post on my fav tool. What did I come up with? Round nose pliers - they must be the beaders best friend!

miesmama said...

great post - i use these too, for the wire in my ponies and headbands - would'nt have it any other way!

Stormy Designs said...

Great read. Thanks for participating!

joeyandaleethea said...

What a sweet post. Love your nursing necklaces, they are such a must-have for any nursling!

Youvegotmaille said...

Reminded me of my dad giving my mom a hard time because she was using a paint brush that was too small. Funny how tools can conjure up images of dads. Anyway really enjoyed your post. :)