Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday Feature -- Giggleberry Creations

This week's featured Etsy artist is Amy of Giggleberry Creations . Her handcrafted buntings are absolutely charming! What a creative decorating idea, with so many possible uses. Enjoy the interview!

Tell me two (or more!) interesting things about you.

Hmmmm two things....
1) I'm a pregnant stay at home full time Australian mum of my 9 month old Milla and 8 year old step daughter Felicity. Felicity has severe Autism and we are running a full time play based therapy called The Son-Rise Program with her which day by day takes us closer to curing her Autism!! (http://www.son-rise.org/)

2) I LOVE LOVE LOVE hippos!!! I collect them and I bet if you name a house hold object - I have it in hippo form! egg cups, photo frames, bird feeders, potty - the list goes on!! I even went to South Africa a few years back to see them in person and got to canoe along side a pod of them it was awesome!!

To which Etsy Street Teams do you belong?

I have been on Etsy for a little while now and have found that teams are a great way to meet, network, chat, and help other etsians - it's just a matter of finding the right team and being able to contribute my fair share to that team. I am a part of three and feel that is plenty - FAM (Fabulous Artistic Moms) Team Etsy for Autism and Etsykids

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?
I make and sell flag (pennant) banners. They are called bunting sets in Australia. They are a great way to add a splash or character and color to a child's bedroom, nursery, cubby house or play area and I have made quite a few for sellers who wanted their craft stall tents stand out from others.

What inspires your creations?
I love anything 'different' and unique. With everything I do and buy for myself and family. If it's different to the 'expected' - I'll do it! My husband reckons it's because I have 'third child syndrome' and want to stand out from the crowd LOL. I never buy alot of one type of fabric so my banners are usually one of a kind.

Tell me a bit about your creative process and/or how you learned to do what you do.
The first ever banner I made was for my daughter's room. I was 8 1/2 months pregnant, had just started maternity leave and wanted something to keep me busy. My mum makes all her grandchildren a quilt and had recently finished my daughters so I asked for the left over fabric and just started sewing.... before I knew it I had a banner to hang above her cot that matched her quilt perfectly and in true me style was like no other children's bedroom set in the shops or anywhere!

I normally start with a patterned/themed fabric e.g. racing cars and then match it with colors like red, yellow and green of traffic lights and maybe black and white check flag fabric to bring it all together - I could spend hours in a fabric shop!

What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?
My favorite set at the moment is a groovy 'Rock Star Guitar' set. It's just so funky and cool for a little boys room and has so much color in it to brighten up any space!

What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?
Deliriously happy, unique, and organized.

What do you like about Etsy?
I love how it's all handmade - so many one of a kind items in one spot! I have gone nuts with my Christmas shopping on Etsy and can't wait to see my daughters and family's faces when they open their gifts!

What makes your shop unique?
Ever since I opened my shop earlier this year I have been told by so many people that they have never seen anything like my flag banners before. I love hearing this and it keeps me making and creating new ones that are as individual as the person they are made for!

What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy?
For sellers I would say patience is the key...... If you believe in your items and product then it will do great it's just a matter of time before other realize just how great it is!
For buyers I say have fun!!! If you have the time, float around etsy. Type in random words to the search bar, chances are you'll come across something amazing!

Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?
Pop in to 'Giggleberry Creations the blog' to hear all about my latest creations, my life, other sellers and my many etsy purchases
For more Mama's Magic Friday Feature interviews, click here. And if you are an Etsy seller interested in being interviewed for one of these features, please feel free to send me a convo through my Etsy shop!

2 comments:

Giggleberry (Amy) said...

Wow - what a wonderful feature! Thanks so much!!

~ April ~ said...

Those are all SOOO cute!!!! I love the bright colors.