Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday Feature -- Lizzypops

This week's featured Etsy artist is a fellow Etsykids member, Bronwyn of Lizzypops. Her shop is full of beautiful, unique items for kids and families.

Her "upcycling" and use of vintage fabrics adds an especially nice touch, as seen in her amazing UniQuilts. (See below for more from Bronwyn about this nifty idea!)
Personally, I think her baby aprons are genius! And so cute!!!


AND Lizzypops is participating in the Etsykids BOGO sale -- BOGO 15% off, plus free worldwide shipping with a $50 minimum purchase. The BOGO only runs today and tomorrow, so now would be a great time for some shopping!

Tell me two (or more!) interesting things about you.
Oh, let's see... I grew up in Saudi Arabia. My family moved there when I was 5 and my parents moved back when I was in college. Between that and my boarding school experience, I tend to stand out in certain crowds :) Now I'm a PhD-level scientist, a wife, and mother to an 18 mo son and a baby due any minute. My life is full and busy! (Update from Jen: baby arrived October 14th, and all's well. Congratulations, Bronwyn!!!)

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I make overalls, Supersize Me Bibs and aprons for babies, but my favorite creation is the UniQuilt (TM). These are quilts made from the hand-sewn quilt tops made by my great-grandmother. They're really special.

What inspires your creations?

Oh, I'm inspired by necessity in many cases - that's where the Supersize Me Bib came from, certainly. After watching my son smear food all over his sleeves and shoulders, I said, "we gotta do something about this!" And so the Supersize Me Bib was born. I also love vintage and antique quilts and fabrics... I just want to play with them!

Tell me a bit about your creative process and/or how you learned to do what you do.
I'm pretty much self-taught at the sewing machine, but I've had great advice from some wonderful quilters who helped me get over the mitered binding learning curve! An online friend shared her apron idea with me (and gave me permission to sell them!), and I've since developed the design to incorporate my own style. My friend does applique, while I prefer embroidery and decorative stitching. She also taught me the basics of how to make overalls, and I've been playing with those ever since - adding roll-up cuffs and pockets, for example. I'm full of ideas, and I really enjoy just sitting down and creating on the fly... I guess that's the scientist in me. Gotta experiment!

What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?
I really love the UniQuilts... they're just so special and so unique (hence the name!), and full of history. I'm itching to make more, and when I run out of Mamaw's quilt tops, I'll start prowling the antique shops for more! This one's a particular favorite of mine:

What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?

Ooh, that's a toughie! I got a little help on these, and boy do I have a lot of smart alecks among my family and friends!... Tenacious, Intellectual (to a fault, some say), and Pragmatic.

What do you like about Etsy?
I've really enjoyed the people I've met on Etsy. There are some wonderfully kind and generous people there, and they inspire me.

What makes your shop unique?
I think my style sets me apart. So many people make bibs and baby things, but I strive for a special look, inspired by vintage fabrics. Eventually, I hope to expand the UniQuilt(TM) line to include not just aprons and blankets, but overalls, too. I'm also ready to help people create their own UniQuilts, using fabrics from their loved ones old clothing. Imagine how special it would be to have a quilt made from your grandparents' old shirts, house dresses, even table-cloths!

I can't bring myself to make a changing pad or bib out of an antique quilt, though... That, I won't do!

What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy?
Patience, grasshopper. I've had to learn all about patience and perseverance!

Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?

I keep a blog at http://bramey.livejournal.com/, where I blabber on about my life. I've been blogging since ... Wow! September of 2002! So much has happened in my world these past 6 years, and it's all there for the world to see. I wonder if that's wise?
Folks can also reach me at lizzypops.shop@gmail.com.

For more Friday Feature interviews, click here. And if you're an Etsy seller who would like to be interviewed, please feel free to contact me! I'm always looking for new shops to explore.

1 comment:

~ April ~ said...

That's a GORGEOUS quilt!!