Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday Feature -- Rose Works Jewelry

I'm very pleased to announce that I will be resuming Friday Features, a series of Mama's Magic Studio interviews with fellow Etsy artists. We're getting things going again with an very talented Etsyblogger, Ruthie, who owns two shops: Rose Works Jewelry and Kindred Spirit Treasures.



I especially admire her bead weaving, like in this Grapevine bracelet:

Enjoy the interview!



1. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?

My main shop - Rose Works Jewelry - carries a wide variety of jewelry. I've been making jewelry for fun for around 10 years now after a friend introduced me to wire-wrapping. Over the years I picked up how to do basic stringing, and then someone gave me a bead weaving magazine and I fell in love! I love to experiment and learn new things and I'm always adding new things and styles to my shop :)

I get my crafty-genes from my Mom, and it shows! We now share a shop together called Kindred Spirit Treasures. In that shop you can find a variety of items. My Mom's contributes the knit and crochet items, we both make cross-stitch items, and I have some key chains! We have lots of ideas, so who knows what you'll find there next!




2. To which Etsy Street Teams do you belong (if any)?

The Etsy Bloggers

Big Damn Crafters

Etsy Bead Weavers




3. How did you get involved with Etsy?

Friends have been telling me for years that I should sell my work. Then a friend told me about etsy (after first buying a piece from me) and I was hooked!



4. What inspires your creations?

Everything? I love seeing what other artists creates. Even if its from a completely different art form that I would never be able to do! Just seeing beauty inspires me to create beauty. I also love talking about creating with my friends and Mom because sometimes I get my best ideas that way!



5. What is your biggest challenge related to your Etsy shop?

Jewelry does not sell easily. There's just so much out there! I admire the artists that are able find a niche and focus on that, but I just have too much fun doing a wide range of things! My health problems can also make posting new items in my shop challenging sometimes because I won't be able to get pictures.



6. What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite? (Please provide a link)

I really loved my piece "Swiftly Changing Waters."

It's part of a series and I've just had so much fun creating each piece! I'm itching to the next one I just have to get the right beads...



7. What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy?

Join some teams and get to know people! The majority of my sales have been from team mates that have become my friends :)



8. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you. (Hobbies, achievements, favorite something-or-other, family situation, jobs, etc)

Hmm - I'm a complete eccentric - so there's a lot I could say! One fun fact is that I was a swing dancer for about five years. I still would love to dance but my health prevents it. A not so fun fact, but central to my life right now, is that I live with debilitating asthma. I've had asthma problems my whole life, but over the last few years it's progressively gotten worse to the point where I had to stop working and drop out of school. It's been an incredibly hard year, but my jewelry creations are what have kept me sane because I can often continue to create even when I'm struggling to breath. And it gives me something I can do to feel productive on days when even walking across the house is challenging!



9. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?

http://www.roseworksjewelry.blogspot.com/ is my main blog. I also have a lot of fun with http://www.roseworkstreasuries.blogspot.com/ and http://www.ajedismusings.blogspot.com/!

Note that Ruthie is currently running a Christmas in July sale. Details are in her shop announcement. Happy shopping!






10 comments:

Rose Works Jewelry said...

Thank you so much for doing such an awesome write up on me!

Jen said...

My pleasure!

BeadedTail said...

Great feature on an incredibly talented artisan!

glorybe1024 said...

Great feature on Ruthie!!

memoriesforlifescrapbooks said...

What a great interview about a great gal :)

UberArt said...

Beautiful beadwork!! She is very talented.

Very Verdant said...

Great interview!

MagdaleneJewels said...

Great Blog for a very talented artist. I always love learning something new about our Blogger friends. Thanks for a great interview, Mama!

TiLT said...

woo hoo for Ruthie! I love her stuff...have a few pieces from both her shops!

Splendid Little Stars said...

Thanks for the great interview of Ruthie! Her beadwork is wonderful! I love the grapevine style bracelet, too.