Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Birthdays, Birthdays....

This round of the Etsyblogger carnival is all about BIRTHDAYS -- because tomorrow is our fearless leader's birthday! Many happy returns of the day to Joey & Aleethea!!!

This is a timely topic because we have SIX family birthdays during the month of April:
  1. my dear sister B (for whom BB is named!)
  2. B's husband, my fabulous brother-in-law R (who's definitely on the list of Top 10 Great Guys in My Life!)
  3. my wonderful sister-in-law J (coolest doctor I know!)
  4. her daughter darling K (who turns 1 this weekend! Fun cousin time!)
  5. my mom-in-law J (who is coming to visit today!)
  6. my mom-in-law C (whose birthday is today! Happy Birthday!)

And now, having exhausted my supply of exclamation points, I will move on to the rest of the carnival. Joey asked folks to think about their own birthdays and write about a memorable one.

I find myself thinking of childhood birthdays. I don't have a lot of specific memories connected to specific years, but I have many memorable moments. One that stands out: the year I unwrapped a heavy appliance box, convinced I was going to get a TV for my bedroom, only to discover it was actually a sewing machine. I think I was maybe 11 or 12 years old. I have to say, for as little as I appreciated it at the time, that has definitely been a symbolic incident and I'm truly grateful for it now. I hardly ever watch TV these days, and I only wish I had more sewing skills. My mom was wonderful to pass along as much as she did, patiently teaching me how to read a pattern and thread a machine.

I definitely remember the cakes: angel food with pink frosting made from Strawberry Quik drink mix, Holly Hobby (a true labor of love from my mom). I wonder which flavor this one was?

me at one year old, June 1973

But one early birthday stands out: the year I turned 9 at Cape Henlopen.


me at 9 years old, June 1981

The Cape Henlopen trip was a yearly event for the third grade class at my elementary school, and it coincided with my June birthday. My dad was one of the chaperones for the trip, and if I remember correctly he drove down in the 1972 Pontiac Bonneville (the car on which I later learned to drive) arriving after the rest of the class had settled in. I think he couldn't get off from work until then.


I remember how excited I was to have him there. I remember him bringing cupcakes and helping me collect seashells and other beach detritus for the class sandcastle making contest. I can still recall making a cat face sand sculpture using mussel shells as ears and twigs for whiskers. I think it won third place.



Me and my dad at Cape Henlopen, June 1981


Now that I have kids of my own, I am even more grateful that my father took the time off from work to be with me and my classmates for that once-in-a-lifetime trip. Thank you, Dad, for making my 9th birthday so special that I still remember it vividly, almost 29 years later.

1 comment:

cath c said...

we're loaded with april bdays, too. thanks for sharing little you pics! your hair is so thick! of course that's what struck me re; your birthday memories, sweet as they are. lol!