Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Everything!

I am more than delighted to be able to say that BJ's second day of kindergarten was another fantastic day for him. As we walked to school, he talked excitedly about how when he got to school he would sit with his two new best friends at "the concrete bench" (the curb outside the classroom) where his teacher has asked students to gather before school. Sure enough, he found J and L at the playground -- and I was relieved to see that it seems his use of the "best friend" label seems reciprocal. When it was time to "line up" (by sitting on the curb) J and L and BJ went over together.

But the first place they went in line, there was only room for two kids to sit. J and L sat down together. BJ stood behind them, asking, "Where can I sit?" L, bless her, immediately pointed to the end of the line, saying, "I know! Why don't we go over there, like we did yesterday, where there's room for all of us?" I could have hugged her. "Yeah!" exclaimed J and BJ as all three of them ran over to the end of the line and sat down together. And from there, when the teacher called them to stand and come into the classroom, he gave me a kiss goodbye and walked in to his second day of kindergarten without looking back.

In fact, most of the kids just trooped on in, without a moment's hesitation. It was all the parents who were having trouble with their goodbyes. I wish I'd had the camera with me (and the chutzpah to use it) to capture all of us, huddled around the doorway, looking bereft as our children got on with the business of being Big Kids and went around the corner, out of sight. Most of us (myself included) ended up going over to the window by the side of the classroom and waving, one last time, at our smiling kids.

Today was a short day (as will be the rest of this week and all of next) and while that presents scheduling difficulties with BB's preschool and nap, I think it's definitely the right decision for the kindergarteners. Day starts at 8:30, and pickup is right before lunch. Today I got there about 15 minutes early. The class had walked together over to another part of campus to have their snack outside, and I hadn't been waiting two minutes before I saw the line of them headed back to the classroom. I sat quietly on the bench, watching. And I have to say, it was with a pang of pride and surprise that I saw how BJ was so intent and content, walking among his new friends. He didn't even notice me! He just walked right by me, less than 5 feet away, and strolled on into the classroom!

A few other parents were also there early, and their kids had noted their presence (that, or the parents had called out to their kids -- something I was tempted to do, but I'm glad I didn't). The teacher had also seen us, and she asked the two or three other kids along with BJ to invite their parents to come into the classroom for the last story of the day. (Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten, which was a hit.) BJ then saw me, and his face lit up. Which made being ignored a moment earlier a little bit easier, I confess.

So I got to sit behind BJ (who had grabbed a red cushion, as predicted) and listen to the story (and to help one of his classmates bag up her wet clothes, at the request of the teacher -- guess I have that Helpful Parent look about me already) and then we headed home together, hand in hand. As we waited to cross the street, I asked him, "What was your favorite part of the day?"

His reply: "EVERYTHING!"

And then he went on to say, "Mommy, I want to go to kindergarten for TEN YEARS!!!"

Yes, I'd say he had a good second day!

3 comments:

tierramor said...

AWWWWWW! SOOOO SWEET! What a gorgeous day to remember.

cath c said...

a great start to his big school experience! both days!

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

absolutely! we are sooo glad it's going so well.