Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday Feature -- Aloha Kitchen

This week's featured Etsy artist is Lynn of Aloha Kitchen. Her shop is full of pretty shiny things! I especially like the colors and textures in this Amethyst Ribbon Necklace.

Enjoy the interview!

1. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?

Etsy Moms, The Lonely Jewelers, and Military Brats. What can I say, I'm a joiner!

2. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?

I make beaded and wire-wrapped jewelry that is affordable and versatile. I'm self-taught, so I'm constantly making mistakes and starting over on pieces. I've also learned a few things from online videos and from studying works that I think are beautiful, but then it always goes back to trial and LOTS of error!

As for my creative process, it's a combination of things. There's research, of course, and hunting down the materials, but I think the most important part of my process is just to relax. I'm a fairly left- brained person--I have a BS from Notre Dame in Mathematics, am working on an MA in Intelligence Studies, and have studied Russian since 2001-- so shutting off that logical side of my brain and letting the creative part wander to the surface is imperative.

3. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you.

Where to start?! Well, I was born in Berlin during the Cold War; my parents were serving in the U.S. Air Force at the time as part of the American occupying forces. It must have given me a sense of wanderlust, because I've lived in the United States, Russia, and the United Kingdom since then, and have visited 15 other countries over the course of my life. I'm part-Hawaiian (hence the name "Aloha Kitchen"), and learned to dance the hula when I was five. I play the oboe as well, and am in the process of coauthoring my first nonfiction book. Anything else you want to know?

4. What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?


Ooh ... that's a tough one. My favorite item that I don't already own is a toss-up between the Twilight Pearl Bracelet and the Long Gold Necklace with Large Orange Ceramic Beads.


I like the bracelet because of the freshwater pearls (LOVE pearls!) and the sense of pure decadence that it exudes, but I love the necklace because it's versatile and reminds me of Emma Pillsbury from Glee. She was actually the inspiration behind the necklace.

5. What crafting skill(s) do you wish you had or hope to learn someday?

I want to learn Hawaiian-style quilting. I've never truly been interested in quilting before, but I started reading the Elm Creek Quilters series by Jennifer Chiaverini, and I'm now inspired to give it a shot. My mother has made some lovely Hawaiian-style quilted pillows (she also does some of the prettiest and most intricate French hand-sewing I've ever seen!), and I'd like to make something similar to put in our home.

6. If you had to live out the rest of your life as a famous fictional character, who would you be and why?

Sue Sylvester or Emma Pillsbury, both of Glee fame. Sue because she is a total witch, but it's part of her charm. Emma because she has the best wardrobe of anyone currently on television, hands down. Can you tell I'm a Gleek?

7. Tell us about your first sale ever?

It was from my first Etsy shop, WINEOT, which turned out to be an utter failure. Complete disaster. I only had one sale, and it was from a friend who was looking for some cute magnets for her refrigerator. I still think it was a pity purchase!

8. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?

I keep a personal blog and I'm on Twitter.

No comments: