Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My First Rings!

On Friday night, I learned how to make wire wrapped rings, and I've been making several a day ever since!
I am having such fun! I really think sometimes that my favorite part about being a crafter is learning new things. It's been a while since I tried something totally new to me like this. (Well, not completely new, since I had a fair amount of experience with wire work, but it required new tools and new skills, so it counts!) It's very refreshing.

The recent ring making spree began at last weekend's SF Etsy Meet & Make. The evening was hosted at the beautiful Knit One One Studio in Oakland and organized by the talented Ros of Scottish Lily Jewelry. Ros posted about the evening here at the team blog. Thanks again to Ros for a fantastically fun event! I made my very first ring that night, crafted from sterling silver wire and garnet beads. I've now made a dozen in various styles and using various stones, and I think this one still might be my favorite! They remind me of bubbles.

I was so into my latest project, that I insisted on making one for my dear friend M when she came to visit! Hers was garnet, tiger's eye, and agate.


When I asked if I could take a pic of M's ring, we had a funny discussion about hands and which kinds of hands are good for what kind of modeling. She informed me her hands are good for a Pine-Sol ad. Given that M and I have very similar hands, I don't quite know how to feel about that! I love the look of sturdy, working hands. Strong and capable! And definitely worth of adornment.

Right now most of my work is going towards prepping for my first November show, so I'm not sure if I'll get any of these new beauties listed in my Etsy shop. Mostly because I'll need to find time to get good pictures (exhibit A for such a need and its challenges -- the less than ideal ones above!) But if you have a special request let me know and I'll see what I can do!

2 comments:

Aimee Diane Designs said...

Those rings are beautiful! I can imagine what a challenge that wrapping technique is, though I've never tried to make a ring by wire-wrapping. This may inspire me to do that.

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

Aww, thanks! It is a challege, but lots of fun. Ros was a great teacher!