Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, March 4, 2011

Strep

Turns out BJ has strep throat, poor boo. I remember having strep throat a LOT when I was a kid. (Still have my tonsils -- do they even remove them for strep anymore? I remember hearing about that a lot when I was growing up, but not so much anymore.) Seems every winter it would hit and I'd be wretched. Mom would take me up to Main Street to see Dr. Lloyd (I was never allowed to read the books in the waiting room) and I'd gag on the wooden swab. I still remember the color and taste of that pink antibiotic liquid. Probably penicillin.

I tell ya, Kaiser Permanente really gets some things right. I called the nurse line last night, described the symptoms (103.5 fever, sore throat, to the point that the poor guy was sobbing about how much it hurt) and she set us right up with directions for how to get the strep test done today. We didn't even need an appointment. Just came in when it was convenient between 8:30 and 5, waited about 10 minutes before the nurse took us back, did the quick swab, told us we'd have results within 24 hours. We were at the hospital about 10:30 a.m. Around 9:30 p.m. I received an email with the test results. Called the nurse line again, got the antibiotics prescription, and should be able to pick it up about noon tomorrow.

Now we thank heaven for antibiotics and pray that the rest of us don't catch it....

3 comments:

~Debra said...

Praying he feels better soon! Strep is no fun!

And yes they do still remove tonsils because of strep. Both of my kids had their tonsils & adenoids removed. Ashlynn in 2008 & Brendan in 2009. Both had strep for months straight & antibiotics did not help. I just had my tonsils out in October. I didn't have strep but I did have constant sore throats.

Angela said...

Wow, you guys are having a bit of a time:( Kisses to the boy, and hope he is better soon.

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

thanks, Angela and Debra! sorry to hear about the tonsils but hope that took care of the problems for everybody!