Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bram and Sara

Neither one of my kids have been much for imaginary playmates. (Imaginary letters or numbers to play with, though -- BJ was all about that for a while when he was a toddler.) That may have changed tonight, especially for BJ.

Tonight, we met their evil twins.

It was S's fault. He's the one who introduced the idea of an evil twin, when BJ (oh-so-unsubtly) insisted, "It wasn't me!" when he was taken to task for getting up from the table (again). He was in plain sight, after having been told half a dozen times to stay seated while he was eating his dinner, so it was laughable that he'd try to make such an obviously false claim.

"So who was it, then?" S asked. "Your evil twin?"

And then the real fun began.

Once we'd explained what S meant by an evil twin, BJ really ran with it. He announced that his evil twin is named Bram (yes, with an "M") and was eager to imagine all sorts of behaviors that Bram might engage in. Soon, BB was chiming in to say that her evil twin was named Sara.

Tonight BJ had gym class, and while I don't think Sara stayed around after we left, I know for a fact that Bram came with us to gymnastics. The whole car ride was full of detailed descriptions of everything that Bram was doing: not sitting down, getting into my purse, pulling all the Kleenex out of the box...

It all remained imaginary, thankfully, so I decided to play along and hopefully keep things that way. "Bram, get out of the front seat! Bram, don't play with the windows!" BJ loved it, laughing so hard that he could scarcely catch his breath.

I was less pleased when BJ started telling me all the destructive things that Bram would do (breaking the fire truck ladder in front of our car, changing the traffic lights) so I felt I had to put on my mom hat and insist that I was fine imagining the silly stuff but not happy about destructive or dangerous behavior.

Of course, Bram made an appearance at gym class. Hardly surprising given how his coach likes to clown with the kids -- the coach started the session by lobbing a big foam block at BJ and then acting all huffy, "Hey! Why did you throw that block!" It was a very short step for BJ to announce, laughing, "I didn't do it! BRAM DID!"

Happily, Bram did not cause any more trouble during class. He did ride home with us in the car, and BJ told me that we should be careful to let Bram into the house so that he didn't break the windows trying to get in. Hmm. It will be very interesting to see if Bram reappears in the morning.

2 comments:

cath c said...

this is an excellent way for them both to explore the boundaries of right and wrong! they can get the pleasure of doing something naughty without actually doing it.

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

Excellent point, Cathy! Intellectually, this makes total sense and it's clear that it's a lot of fun for the kids (especially BJ). I'm trying to stay relaxed and playful about it. I'll be the first to admit that I tend to take such things far too seriously, something I try not to do. No show by Bram yet this morning but I have a feeling we've not seen the last of him (or Sara!)