Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, June 27, 2011

Storyteller

Tonight at bathtime, BJ told the following story to S:

Once upon a time, there was a little boy who was scared of drowning. He was so afraid of drowning in the water that he locked himself up in his house. He put metal over the windows and would not go outside. But then he got lonely and sad all by himself. He got so sad that he cried and cried, and his house filled up with the water from his tears and he drowned.

(As reported by S, so this isn't verbatim.)

I would love to know if BJ made up this story of if he read it somewhere. He says he made it up, but he isn't always clear on the distinctions between telling his own tale and re-telling a story he's encountered before.

He's been reading a lot of Shel Silverstein poetry lately, so I suspect it might be something in there, but I can't recall a Silverstein poem with this plot line. At any rate, it sure shows the ironic influence. (Particularly since he told the story in the bathtub!)

If you know a source for a story like this, let me know! Whether it's original to him or not, I thought it was definitely one to keep for the record. I only wish I'd heard it first-hand so I could be more confident I'd captured his exact wording!

2 comments:

cath c said...

aw, let him have it, it's very imaginative. even if someone else may have influenced him. all great art has been 'done a million times before'. ;)

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

too true, Cathy! nothing new under the sun :-)

yesterday, he apparently told S that the story was indeed from a Shel Silverstein poem. but i love the retelling!