Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, May 17, 2012

15 Year Anniversary

As I commented earlier today, "15 years ago, I said "I do" to my best friend. Best two words I ever said!"

On that joyful day, so many years ago, I would have predicted that in 15 years I'd still be with my sweetie. That much I felt certain about -- when I vowed to be his for a lifetime, I meant it. I still do.

But I would not have predicted that I'd be living in a dormitory apartment on a beautiful campus in California -- I would not have predicted that I'd be a SAHM with two great kids -- I would not have predicted that I'd be on the cusp of turning 40 and wondering, "What am I going to do when I grow up?" 40 years old seemed impossible to imagine. I would not have predicted that it would feel like this! But I'm sure happy things turned out as they have. I'm so very lucky to live the life that I'm living and to get to share it with my sweetie and my wonderful family.

We celebrated our anniversary with a date night, even though it was a Thursday night and we knew we'd be up early the next day. We went out for dinner at a favorite new restaurant, Pacific Catch. Yum!

After dinner -- full and happy. That's pretty much my life right now: full and happy!

After dinner, we browsed around one of our favorite used bookstores. Bookstore dates are an oldie but goodie for us -- we've been visiting them together since the earliest days of our friendship. I can still remember the first real one-on-one time I ever spent with S: walking together from campus down Main Street to check out a book sale at the Newark Shopping Center. It wasn't even a date back then, just something for two new friends to do together.

Sitting on the kids' bookshelf is one of the books that was bought way back then at that book sale -- 26 Starlings will Fly Through Your Mind. I remember thinking how neat it was that S would purchase a kids' book. How many college freshman guys did that? No other ones that I knew! Little did I dare to imagine that someday we'd be reading that book to our own children.

I got some good finds for myself this time, including a book on collage quilts! Here's my haul for the night:  

After the bookstore, we checked out some live blues playing at a local bar. Good music but standing room only (and we'd hoped to get in some dancing, alas). We hung out for a bit, then decided to go get some ice cream. I love that we both make the same selection when given the choice between booze and loud music and ice cream and conversation. Even after 15 years, we would still choose a chance to talk together. Ice cream beats beer any day of the week, and it doesn't even really matter what we're talking about!

Happy Anniversary, my dear. Here's to another 15 years and more together.


No comments: